Monday, March 06, 2006

Favorite Oscar Moments

by Chris
I thought it was a darn good show, and was much more entertaining when I re-watched on the DVR and was able to fast forward all the pointless clip montages. If they really wanted to streamline the Oscar ceremony they need to get rid of these. This year's were especially bad, they looked like they were put together with Powerpoint. Here are my favorite moments:

1. John Stewart's opening monologue. He had some funny celebrity zingers, but nothing too harsh or critcal like Chris Rock's.

2. Tom Hanks getting assaulted by the orchestra, it was a pretty lame bit but I cracked up when the trombonist started prodding Hanks with the slidey part (I think that's what its called) and when the other guy shot a tranq dart out of his clarinet.

3. George Clooney's acceptance speech. I just love watching this guy talk. He is so funny and charming, I really think Clooney will go down in history as one of the great leading men.

4. Ben Stiller's greenscreen thing. It is a joke that has been done before (see the hilarious "Son of the Invisible Man" sketch in Amazon Women on the Moon), but Stiller made it work here.

5. The political attack ads that Stephen Colbert phoned in were quite funny.

6. Lili Tomlin and Merryl Streep's introduction of Robert Altman. I'm still not sure exactly what was going on there but I was laughing my ass off. I guess it helped that these are two of my all-time favorite women.

7. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's acceptance speech. I loved how uncomfortable he was, I always appreciate modesty. I think I would be the same way if I was up on that stage; stuttering, covering my face with my acceptance speech, quoting lyrics from my favorite songs.

8. The part where Jon Stewart joked with the orchestra, saying they had been in there all week. The fact that the orchestra was hidden in that pit under the stage had been annoying me throughout the whole show, and Stewart provided a little comedy catharsis for me when he commented on it.
You smell really good.
9. Before now these were chronological, but I had to save the best for last. Will Farrell and Steve Carrell presenting the makeup oscars. I didn't notice Carell's eye makeup at first, so I started out only laughing about the smudgy rouge all over Will Farrell's face. Then Carell started moving his eyebrows and I noticed that he had those fake eyelashes. By the time I noticed the lipstick that was only applied to Carell's upper lip, I was on the floor. They didn't even need to say anything funny but the "you smell really good/pineapple bliss" exchange was priceless, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that part was improvised.

Overall, it was a MUCH less boring show than usual. Really, though, get rid of those damn clip montages.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Colin said...

Yeah, those clip montages were by far the worst part of it. And for me Tomlin and Streep was the best part. The way I saw it, they were basically doing an Altman staple --his signature overrlapping dialogue. Frankly, I don't know if their bit was largely rehearsed or largely improv, and I'm not sure which way would make it more impressive.

3/06/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I liked the way Hoffman was covering his face, too. I thought he was going to bust out with an Amazing Kreskin but.

3/06/2006 03:50:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

er, "bit".

3/06/2006 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

I liked how Philip Seymour Hoffman's acceptance speech was a totally different take from his Independent Spirit Awards speech, where he was all about "I have been rewarded so much" or something like that and acknowledging his fellow nominees.

And Ang Lee's "How do I quit you?" to the Oscar seemed a bit lame.

3/07/2006 05:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home