Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Slither

by Colin





























Ok, this horror film totally slipped under my radar, and maybe it slipped under your as well.

According to imdb, the plot is:

A small town is taken over by an alien plague, turning residents into zombies and all forms of mutant monsters. It's written and directed by James Gunn, who also did the screenplay for the remake of Dawn of the Dead (which I liked quite a bit), and the classic Tromeo and Juliet.











The lead is Nathan Fillion, or Firefly fame, and the reviews (which seem pretty positive so far) seem to indicate that he's playing a similar wisecracking character. Elizabeth Banks, who seems just on the brink of becoming a star after a diverse set of performances last year, is the female lead. And Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer's Michael Rooker is listed 3rd on imdb.











The trailer makes it look like great, cheezy fun with awesomely bad special effects. From all indications, this looks like it should be a great time at the movies on a Friday or Saturday night with the right type of crowd. Am I somehow the only one who wan't aware of this movie until yesterday?

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

I've been aware of it for some time, but then again part of my job is collecting info on upcoming movies. In the larger scheme of things, the poster was only released about 3-4 weeks ago, I've only just started seeing some TV spots, and never did see a theatrical trailer. So I would guess it's floated under a lot of radar screens.

3/28/2006 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I saw the trailer for it two weeks ago, I'm pretty psyched. It reminds me of the awesome horror comedies of the 80's, like the Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, and House franchises.

I love a gruesome, cheesy horror flick. There has been too much outright brutality and seriousness in most of the recent horror films.

3/28/2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I've been following Slither for about two weeks.

I am a huge fan of the 80's horror comedy franchises like Evil Dead, House, and Return of the Living Dead. I love a good cheesy, gory monster flick.

Is it just me, or does that horribly swollen girl look like a giant boob?

3/29/2006 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

The Onion liked it, which is always a good sign. They compared it to Dead Alive; I'm sold.

Link to Onion AV Club review

3/29/2006 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Stroup said...

Yesterday my wife came home and asked if I had any interest in seeing this. It is always a surprise to me what she decides she wants to watch.

Since I drag her to so many movies when she's hardly interested it is only fair that I go when she asks even if I'm not interested. Hopefully it will be somewhere around Tremors in campy goodness.

She is only interested because of Nathan Fillion.

3/31/2006 01:01:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

90% Tomatoes rating! Ebert gave it 2 stars for some reason even though his review was filled with praise for the movie (in his defence, he did end it with a gripe about having to use a star rating system for films like this).

Sure, there have been a lot of bad horror flicks lately, but it doesn't look like slither is going to be one of them.

3/31/2006 01:21:00 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Am going to see this one today, and am totally jazzed .. love Fillion and Gunn, so shouldn't be disappointed . good blog!

4/02/2006 07:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home