Thursday, March 02, 2006

This Year's Oscar Ceremony

by Chris
I am somewhat conflicted about this year's Academy Awards ceremony. On one hand, I believe that there are some great nominations, even more than usual. I love that John Stewart is hosting, his brand of humor and distaste for hollywood glitz and glamour will bring an interesting angle to the show. I am very excited about the animation category this year, the nominees are three great films from legendary directors and I honestly can't decide who I think should win. Also, I am crossing my fingers that Mizrahi will grope Dame Judy Dench.


One the other hand is the yearly problem of negligent omissions that are made. I don't think I need to bother with Grizzly Man, everyone knows that it was the best doc this year and there is no shortage of internet opinion on that front. But how about David Cronenberg for Best Director? A History of Violence was a great movie (my personal favorite of 2005), and Cronenberg was directing at the height of his prowess. He has consitently proven with each of his movies since The Brood that he is a consummate filmmaker and an excellent director of actors. Fernando Mirelles really should have been nominated for Best Director for his work on Constant Gardener, but I am not as firm on this as I am with Cronenberg. Mirelles has made two movies so far, both have garnered nominations, so his day will come soon enough. Speaking of Constant Gardening, Fiennes was totally robbed in the best actor category.

I am neutral to Robert Altman's "finally getting a damn oscar" award, but that is because I have only seen two of his films, Gosford Park (which I hated with every fiber of my being) and Popeye (which I loved when I was 10). I will get around to watching some of his good films so I can get on the Altman boat, I promise. Any reccomendations? I am in agreement with Jeffrey Wells that Altman really needs to give a good "fuck you" speech when he accepts his award, for every great director out there who has been consistently snubbed by the Academy.

I was hoping for 40 Year Old Virgin to get some kind of love, but I was not surprised that it didn't. The Academy still cares little for comedy, I was just hoping they'd make an exception for this perfectly crafted, intesely funny movie that pulls all the right heart strings without tugging too hard. Speaking of which, I need to check on my shrine to The Apatow. I think one of the statues made of his earwax and hair has toppled over.

I will still watch this year, of course. I always do. It just feels healthy to vent about how the stuffy, old (therefore incontinent and smelly), probably ugly academy voters ignored the best of the best once again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Yeah, Meirelles and Cronenberg were robbed. I could have taken them over Haggis and Spielberg easily.

At least Violence got a screenplay nom. You can take some solace in that.

3/02/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

I feel like Tom from theatrehopper. I've only seen one movie that's nominated in the "big" categories (Crash), so I am completely removed from this year's awards. I may get to squeeze in Walk the Line before Sunday, but I doubt I'll be tuning in.
I think you all saw a few posts last year about my jadedness to the Oscars anyway...not my favorite topic for your consideration.

3/02/2006 06:40:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I got it pretty bad too; I haven't seen Capote, GNAGL, or Munich.

3/02/2006 08:19:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I edited some links into the post, I found a hilarious picture of Judi Dench being assaulted by a ship captain.

3/03/2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

Hey, I was alerted to the links edit by the article popping back into my RSS reader. Nice. The comments interface is driving me crazy, though--I have to mentally keep track of how many comments have been made on each post, otherwise I have no idea if something new has been said without making the little box pop up....

3/03/2006 02:01:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Yeah, good point about the comments. Blogger's come a long, long way in the last couple years, but they still have a few things they need to catch up on.

I like the word verification, though. I guess time will tell if it actually works.

3/03/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Why the hatred for "Gosford Park"? You should check out "Nashville" and "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" when you get the chance. Of course, if you hated "Gosford Park," you might hate those, too.

3/03/2006 04:57:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

My opinion on Gosford Park is that it was always misrepresented to the public. If you go into it thinking it's a jolly olde English murder mystery (as it was advertised), you will be disappointed (also if you don't have subtitles turned on you might be disappointed). Towards the latter half I finally realized that the story was really about the upper and lower houses and their relationship on the English countryside.
So, if you go in expecting slow-moving exposition about the differences among the classes, then you'll get what you're looking for. Otherwise, I can see how it could be hated.

3/03/2006 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It just seemed so stuffy and british, really. Too many hiedously awful characters. I couldn't identify with it. It is similar to the problem I have with Jane Austen (although her characters are generally much more pleasant). There was absolutely nothing there for me to grab on to.

I have The Player moved up to the top of my netflix queue, I'll put Nashville on there too. I think I would like Short Cuts if I gave it a try. I'm gonna pass on McCabe, whenever I rent westerns I can never drum up the interest to pop them in the DVD player.

3/04/2006 12:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home