Friday, April 07, 2006

More on Slevin - Outragous commercial

by Alex Stroup
When I reviewed Lucky Number Slevin the other day I studiously avoided anything I thought was a spoiler other than noting that the movie could be spoiled (which is a bit of a spoiler in itself). No reason for me to interfere with the enjoyment of others unless it is really vital to some discussion.

And then I'm the end of the baseball games (A's vs. Mariners) tonight when there is a commercial for Lucky Number Slevin in which the voiceover explicitly details the plot of the movie as revealed by the "twist" in the third act. This isn't a case of scenes from the end of the movie being shown (as is currently happening with Thank You For Smoking) but actually narrating and summarizing the conclusion of the movie.

While the twist isn't as "surprising" it is kind of like if the pre-release commercials for The Sixth Sense included a voiceover line that said "Is it possible that the guy who hangs around with a kid who sees dead people might himself be dead?"

I'm just amazed at the stupidity of this commercial. If the director (Paul McGuigan) cares about his movie and he sees this commercial it must just send him into a rage.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Whoever designed the ads for this movie needs to be shot. It's bad enough that they mis-name it Lucky Pound Ssevenlevin, now they are giving away important plot points?

4/07/2006 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger jaydro said...

The trailer and ads left me cold, but I actually watched the making-of special on VH1 (and probably elsewhere) that my TiVo found for me ("making" title & showtype/special auto-record wishlist). I expected to watch a few minutes and delete it, but I actually watched the whole stupid thing and came away thinking I might actually want to see the movie.

4/07/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Paul McGuigan seems like a solid director to me. I thought that "Gangster No. 1" was a really enjoyable film, and while "Wicker Park" was just okay, I actually thought that it was shot really well. I still haven't caught up to my DVR'ed episodes of "Thief," but from the reviews, it looks like he did solid work on them.

I actually currently have "The Reckoning" from Netflix but haven't watched it yet. I'll be checking out "Slevin" tonight and I have reasonably high expectations based on what I've heard about it. I see that McGuigan is next doing a big screen apaptation of "The Equalizer," which doesn't sound so promising.

4/07/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I really disliked this movie. It is another example of What Tarantino Hath Wrought, with glib gangsters, characters discussing pop culture trivia, and "cool" ways to kill people. Trouble is, this screenplay has none of the wit or flair that Tarantino brings. The characters are all so despicable I wanted them all to die (which they very nearly do). And the "twist" is pretty apparent to anyone with half a brain.

4/10/2006 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

I have to disagree on this one. I actually thought it was pretty enjoyable. And I'm not sure who you are including in the despicable category, but the Hartnett and Liu characters were, I would say, about the opposite of despicable. I actually think that this was her best performance.

4/10/2006 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Liu's character was tolerable, but I hated Hartnett's character.

4/10/2006 09:22:00 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

Hmm...well without getting into spoilers, all I'll say is that if I was in his character's position, I bet I would have acted in a similar way. But maybe I'm missing what you're saying. Are you just saying that you didn't like his character, or are you saying that you thought that what he did was morally indefensible?

4/10/2006 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Didn't like the character. Partly due to the script, partly due to Hartnett. It was just all attitude, third-rate Tarantino. Also, it wasn't wise of them to recount the plot of North by Northwest, which only serves to remind us all how much better that film is than the one we are watching.

4/10/2006 10:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home