Friday, March 17, 2006

Inside Man

by Jackrabbit Slim


What is everyone's anticipation of Inside Man? The trailer intrigues me. I've only heard one person's opinion, and that was when Wells linked to Emmanuel Levy, who raves. And, of course, it's directed by Spike Lee, which also intrigues me.

Lee's career has been interesting, to say the least. I loved Do Right the Thing, and I also admired Malcolm X. Since then his record has been spotty, to say the least. Looking at his filmography, I've seen more of his work than I had realized: Jungle Fever, Girl 6, Clockers, and The 25th Hour. Each had something going for them, but were seriously flawed. I also admired his documentary, Four Little Girls. I missed Crooklyn, He Got Game, Get on the Bus, Bamboozled and She Hate Me, which was roundly panned.

Inside Man certainly has a good cast. I'm interested to see Clive Owen as a villain, and Jodie Foster playing against type. Denzel Washington seems to be playing a character he's played before, but we'll see.

6 Comments:

Blogger jaydro said...

It is a very interesting cast. I got intrigued the first time I saw a TV ad, the kicker after the cast being that it's a Spike Lee film that's being marketed as some kind of conventional thriller. And like 25th Hour, Lee didn't write it.

3/17/2006 08:07:00 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

He Got Game is probably my favorite Spike Lee film. 25th Hour was good, but the book was better, and there was stuff there that I think could've been handled better. But the 911 fuck diatribe was fucking excellent.

So I'm really looking forward to Inside Man. Have been since reading a script review. Looks like a great heist movie. And I'll watch anything with eitehr Denzel, Jodie or Chiwetel Eijofor, who's emerging as one of my favorite actors right now. Clive Owen is a bit overrated though.

3/17/2006 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I've liked Clive Owen in everything I've seen him in--Croupier, Gosford Park, Closer, Sin City. Didn't see Derailed. Agree with you on Eijofor.

3/17/2006 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

Definitely want to see it. From the previews it looks unlike any other Spike Lee movie I've seen.

Bamboozled was a tough one to watch. After awhile you wonder if he's gone too far with the minstrel show and wonder what the end is trying to say. Does he want us to get offended? Just doing it for shock value? Calling us bad for ever laughing at the stereotypes in the past 60 years of TV?

3/17/2006 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I thought 25th Hour was great. I really ought to pick up that DVD.

Bamboozled was a frightful thing. It felt like watching a civil war, and to this day I'm not sure how I feel about it.

And as an aside, I'm all for an Eijofor bandwagon, but Kinky Boots looks like maybe the biggest chore in the history of movies.

3/17/2006 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

After Serenity, I'll jump on the Eijofor bandwagaon as well.

It's the director and cast that is selling it for me. Spike Lee directing Denzel, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster, and now Eijofor all in the same movie?

Oh hell yes.

I don't care what it's about.

3/17/2006 08:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home