Friday, July 07, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 07/07

by Brian
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (trailer): Yeah, OK, I’ll list it first, but my heart’s not really into it. I was OK with the first one, and I expect I’ll be OK with this one too, but it’s hard to be enthusiastic with “OK”.

The Heart of the Game (trailer): Documentary about a high school girls’ basketball team that’s gotten rave reviews so far. I guess the question is, is this a generic sports doc that would play out the same way no matter who it was about, or something that looks a little deeper than that?

Cavite (trailer): Small movie from Cuban/Wagner’s Truly Indie distribution line. Stephen Holden calls it a “gripping no-budget political thriller”. Looks interesting. I should check it out.

The Blood of My Brother: A Story of Death in Iraq (trailer at official site): Documentary about the Iraq War, but from a vengeful Iraqi’s point of view. While I don’t doubt that there are millions of stories to be told from all sides about the war, I wonder if we’re not long past the point where any doc about Iraq wouldn’t be preaching to the choir. We’re three and a half years into it; people see what they want to see. Or maybe I’ve just soured on political docs in general.

Wassup Rockers (trailer at official site): I’ve seen this trailer approximately 744 times and I’m tired of it. At this point, I doubt there’s much Larry Clark would conceivably do that would be interesting to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I liked Pirates 2 fine. Probably not as much as the first, because there are no real surprises, specifically in Depp's performance. But I thought it moved along well. Maybe because I knew it was long going in that didn't bother me. The movie wizardry behind the look of Davy Jones and the Kraken is to be commended (and probably Oscared).

7/09/2006 04:16:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I didn't much care for Pirates. Most of it just felt redundant. And I don't mean that so much in the sense of compared to the first, but standing apart on its own. Swordfight, swordfight, exposition. Swordfight, swordfight, exposition. It just got dull after a while - really it felt like a Michael Bay movie.

7/11/2006 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

Finally saw Pirates 2. I was convinced I would like it okay, since I liked the first one more than most people and critics. But I have to say it was a pretty big let-down. The thing really teetered just on the edge of being a total mess, I thought. I was pretty confused by just what was going on for about the first hour, and then it started hopping along fine, but I just didn't care about what was happening or understand why I should care. The plot very much lacked any central driving focus. It might be better with a repeat viewing, but it really didn't hold up in comparison to the first. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom came to mind, though it wasn't quite that much of a letdown. I mean, Keira Knightley is a lot better than Kate Capshaw. I thought Ms. Knightley's hair extensions should possibly garner a best supporting actress nomination. ;-)

10/16/2006 08:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home