Thursday, July 20, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 07/21

by Brian
Monster House (trailer): Honestly, I wasn’t really looking forward to this all that much, but Ebert and Roeper flipped out about how great it was a couple weeks back. They can thumbs-up some strange stuff (more Ebert than Roeper on that score), but they sounded … convincing. So I’ll take a look.

Favela Rising (trailer at official site): It’s not a very good week, and the trailer for this is pretty good, so it gets second billing.

Lady in the Water (trailer): Remember a couple of years ago, when Signs came out, and so many people liked it? For a while, it was hard to find someone who didn’t. Where did all those people go? It’s not just the media that’s turned against Night - it seems like almost everyone has. Hell, these days it’s moderately difficult to find someone who admits to liking The Sixth Sense (I do).

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (trailer): I’m not quite as down on this as Professor Wagstaff, but I’m hardly stoked. I do think there are three good moments in the trailer: 1) after the just-broken-up-with Uma flies through the roof, and Luke Wilson looks up, and says “Oh, no”, 2) when Uma tells him, “I always knew you’d come back … that’s why I didn’t kill you”, and 3) when she throws that damn shark at him. Unfortunately, I have a hunch that that’s the best the movie has to offer.

Clerks II (trailer): As an occasional Kevin Smith fan (meaning that I liked Chasing Amy, thought that Dogma, Mallrats, and Clerks had their moments, hated Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and didn’t even bother with Jersey Girl), I’ve slowly come to a strange realization as the Clerks II release date drew near: I don’t care. I just can’t imagine it being any better than a few good moments, of which I’ve probably seen identical moments in his other movies anyway. So maybe I’ll end up seeing this some night when I’m bored and have nothing better to do. Or not, I don’t know. And I don’t care.

5 Comments:

Blogger jaydro said...

Are people really that down on the Night-man? I'm a weirdo who hated The Sixth Sense and loved Unbreakable. I've somehow missed Signs (I keep meaning to rent it or something), but I enjoyed The Village. I don't really feel like I'm a fan, but I somehow find myself looking forward to each of his movies.

7/20/2006 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Looks like I'll be avoiding the theater this weekend. I've seen all of Night's work up to now, but the reviews are scaring me off. Monster House I may pick up after the kiddie crowds abate. And I think Kevin Smith is hugely over-rated. I haven't liked any of his films I've seen. I like Uma, too, but not enough to see what looks like yet another of the romantic-comedy out of a can films, this time flavored with comic book stuff.

7/21/2006 09:10:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Signs--Well-made film, but when I think of it, it leaves me with a bad taste. Why? Well, the whole water thing. An intelligent alien race comes to a planet that is three-fourths covered in water, and they have the hydrophobia of the Wicked Witch of the West? At least they could have invested in rain slickers.

I've heard an explanation that it was not just water, but holy water that was needed to kill them (the little girl was saintly enough that she blessed the water). Fair enough, but then that takes it into a religious realm that makes an old atheist like me get all fidgety. If films want to have a positive message about faith, that's fine, I just don't want to see them.

7/21/2006 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I've heard an explanation that it was not just water, but holy water that was needed to kill them (the little girl was saintly enough that she blessed the water).

If so, then I think it's a classic case of a half-formed idea. If the film is a parable about religious faith, then ... what's with the aliens? Do they represent our sins? The devil? Charles Darwin?

I don't think there's an answer to that that even remotely makes sense. And I actually welcome serious movies about faith.

7/21/2006 01:23:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

I just read on IMDB that Pirates may still reign at #1 (http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-07-21/) with Monster House and Lady In the Water duking it out for #2.

7/21/2006 05:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home