Friday, August 25, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 08/25

by Brian
A lot going on this week, so I have to write in a rush:

Factotum (trailer): Matt Dillon does Charles Bukowski.

Invincible (trailer): All these Disney sports movies are pretty much the same, but so far they’ve all been of fairly decent quality.

The Great New Wonderful (trailer): I thought this had come and gone already, but apparently not. Good ensemble cast playing post-9/11 New Yorkers; bad title.

The War Tapes (trailer): Another soldiers-in-Iraq movie. Doesn’t look like any new ground is covered here.

Idlewild (trailer): OutKast does a Prohibition-era musical. Long-delayed - it was supposed to come out in April - so it’s probably not very good.

The Groomsmen (trailer): Edward Burns kinda bores me, frankly.

Beerfest (trailer): Maybe the most-overtaglined movie ever. Just look at the poster; you’ve got “Bring on the Beer; They’ve Got the Nuts”; “Prepare for the Ultimate Chug of War”; and “Comedy on Tap”, plus “Brewed in 2006” and the “Super Troopers” promo credit. I’ll give it this much, though: it’s got to be better than Jay Chandrasekhar’s last movie, The Dukes of Hazzard (though not as good as The Dukes Au Hasard).

The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green (trailer): Another of Regent Releasing’s specialty gay releases that look for all the world to be direct-to-pay-per-view quality.

How to Eat Fried Worms (trailer): Not that I’m going to test this theory, but I think I’d rather eat worms than watch a movie about eating worms.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Idlewild is getting mixed reviews, with a few surprisingly positive. I don't own a lot of rap albums, but I love Outkast. Even when I don't like a particular song, I generally respect what they try to do. The premise of the film seems a bit shaky, but the soundtrack is good. I don't expect to love the movie, but as a fan of the Hollywood Musicals of the past, it's nice to see that a new generation of performers values the medium.

8/25/2006 08:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home