Saturday, November 11, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 11/10

by Brian
Even later this week…

Copying Beethoven (trailer): Kind of flying under the radar - MGM doesn’t even mention it on their website - but it looks like an interesting role for Ed Harris, who really needs an interesting role.

Stranger Than Fiction (trailer): I’ve seen this trailer so many times, and it’s so irritating that it’s damn near turned me off the movie altogether. Seriously, I can’t stress enough how much I hate this trailer.

A Good Year (trailer): Not as irritating of a trailer, but I’ve still seen it too much.

The Bridesmaid (trailer at First Run site): From French mystery director Claude Chabrol, who it seems I should be familiar with. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be embarrassed that I’ve never heard of him, or what. Premiered at Venice way back in 2004.

Harsh Times (trailer): Christian Bale has been on a role lately, and now plays a soldier of the apocalypse. It’s really hard to put a line like that in the trailer and not have the movie look silly.

Shut Up & Sing (trailer): Poor Dixie Chicks.

Color of the Cross (trailer): Movie about a black Jesus. The movie’s website helpfully gives the date A.D. That’s a nice feature - I know I often find myself confused on that score.

The Return (trailer): The return of what? Who, or what, is returning? Or is the question, where are they returning to? I don’t get it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

From French mystery director Claude Chabrol, who it seems I should be familiar with. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be embarrassed that I’ve never heard of him, or what.

You're American. It's okay.

He's like the French Hitchcock, but much more dependent on character than plot, his style is kind of off-setting and doesn't appeal to everyone. He's not exactly one of those directors whose movies make you 'happy,' he's more for making you uncomfortable with your own identity than giving you a shock here and there. The main thing is that his characters aren't clear-cut, and will often act differently in different environments and sometimes pretty irrationally. So you never quite know if you've understood what the film was about the whole time.

Sometimes he fails and just goes overboard with his repugnant characters and off-setting style. He'll have violins screeching loudly in the middle of an otherwise quiet dinner scene, with nothing else plotwise going on, and so on. And he really, really hates the bourgeoisie. That can either be part of the fun, or part of the problem.

But of the films of his I've seen his L'Enfer was really something, but his best film is really The Butcher. If you want to know if you like Chabrol then that's the one to see. Haven't seen The Bridesmaid.

But like I said, he's not for everyone, he's more Eric Rohmer than (my personal favorite) Patrice Leconte.

11/12/2006 02:04:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

You're American. It's okay.

Man, talk about redundant!

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm going to make an effort to see Bridesmaid this week. Will report back if I do.

11/14/2006 02:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home