Thursday, December 14, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 12/15

by Brian
You know, it's mid-December already, and I keep waiting for all the good stuff to come out. I'm starting to think that it's just not going to happen.

The Pursuit of Happyness (trailer): Funny thing in the EPK featurette that's been showing before movies during the past month: Will Smith talks about "Doing these scenes with my real son, uh, definitely adds to, uh, the ability to, uh, become Chris Gardner for those scenes." Because nothing helps you transform into someone else like working with your own actual kids, I guess. Otherwise, I've read a few times that this movie isn't really as sentimental as the trailer. And good thing, too.

The History Boys (trailer): Really, this just looks boring. I know nothing about the play, and I'm sure it's great, but we all know that a good teacher is great and inspiring and ... whatever.

Cave of the Yellow Dog (trailer at official site): From the makers of The Story of the Weeping Camel, which I'm kind of sad I didn't see. I believe that, although there are 3 theaters and 16 screens in town that are supposedly dedicated to independent film, this will be the only actual independent film playing in Dallas next week.

Charlotte's Web (trailer): Not much to say; it's not for me.

Eragon (trailer): This really looks incredibly bad. As in, really, terribly, awful - dumb story, laughable acting, fake special effects, even relative to all the fake looking special effects we've seen in the CGI era. Even the name is stupid - Eragon. Yes, I'm feeling hostile.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

You know, it's mid-December already, and I keep waiting for all the good stuff to come out. I'm starting to think that it's just not going to happen.

Hey, I've been waiting for The Departed all year, and now they tell me it's coming out January 12th. I'm like "yeah, right" by now.

12/15/2006 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Eragon (trailer): This really looks incredibly bad.

I loved the AICN review that claimed the film made his 11 year old cry. Poor Jeremy Irons. The guy should do what Michael Caine did, and start looking at the director of the film instead of the paycheck.

12/15/2006 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

One of my friends who worked at ILM HATED working on this movie. He didn't like the rip-off story and mentioned that the FOX executives really tied their hands. Sometime in February they showed them the dragon and the execs basically made them scrap the whole thing and redo it. I think they wanted it less menacing and therefore less cool looking.

Sometime during the summer my friend got to leave Eragon and start working on Transformers which he says is awesome (from a graphic artist/action perspective - nothing to say about the "plot"). He enjoys Michael Bay coming to the meetings and cussing up a storm with them (in a positive way, apparently) and is having fun.

But I digresss. The only movie I'm dying to see before the year ends is ROCKY BALBOA. I can't freakin' wait. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I know you are all laughing. No, I don't care.

12/15/2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

But I digresss. The only movie I'm dying to see before the year ends is ROCKY BALBOA. I can't freakin' wait. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I know you are all laughing. No, I don't care.

Actually, I'm not.

I only ever really liked the first and second Rocky films. First Blood was a great film action film, as well. But everything after that has been shit, basically. (Cop Land was good, but not that good.)

So I was fully prepared to dismiss Rocky VI out of hand. But those AICN interviews he's done are some of the best things I've read all year, honestly. Purely for those I'm going to watch the film.

He might be doing it for the money, or as a last resort for career resuscitation, but at least he seems to be making a decent picture, and I can respect a man for doing that.

So, yeah, it may not be on top of my must see-list, but I'm seeing it.

12/15/2006 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I seem to have invaded your blog...I just can't help myself. I feel the need to comment that Charlotte's Web was a traumatizing movie the first time I saw it, and I don't want to relive the experience. I don't care how cute Dakota Fanning is. I mean, you know that pig is going to end up as bacon eventually, no matter what they say at the fair; Fern grows up and moves on, and the spider babies all fly away, leaving the poor pig to face his inevitable death alone. They probably already cooked the duck. And this is a kids movie!!! I hate it! I hate it!!! So there.

12/22/2006 02:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home