Friday, March 23, 2007

Opening in Dallas, 03/23

by Brian
I suppose I ought to begin by noting that the AFI Dallas International Film Festival kicked off here last night. It seems that I remember that when the festival was announced, it was made out to be a major festival, striving to be on par with Toronto, Venice, Berlin, etc. A quick look at the actual films being presented, though, is pretty underwhelming. While I feel a little bit guilty about skipping out on it, I just don’t see any reason to be excited about it until somebody points out something that I missed or am just too ignorant to recognize.

Now, on to this week’s openings:

Becket: How exciting - I never thought in a million years that this would open here, and I didn’t even realize until earlier this week that it was.

Reign Over Me (trailer): Looks decent, but I’m skeptical. I always felt that Mike Binder’s The Upside of Anger was overrated if not outright annoying.

The Namesake (trailer): Preventing Adam Sandler from winning the week’s “Goin’ Straight Award” is Kal Penn, appearing here in what appears to be a legitimate role that requires actual acting.

Color Me Kubrick (trailer): Sounds interesting, but I saw the trailer for the first time the other night, and it really looks bad.

Shooter (trailer): Antoine Fuqua back in his element after the comically poor King Arthur.

The Last Mimzy (trailer): I don’t know what a mimzy is, but, like Mohicans, it’s probably worth saving the last one.

TMNT (trailer): What I wouldn’t have given for this to come out 15 years ago. But, alas, the Turtles did not age well, and now they just seem goofy in retrospect..

Pride (trailer): Not that I don’t wish Terrence Howard the best and all, but a 1.7 user rating on IMDb is enough to chase me away, thanks.

The Hills Have Eyes II (trailer): Is this cheap horror fad never going to end?

6 Comments:

Blogger LesterG said...

Dismal weekend at the movies, but at least The Host opens locally.

3/23/2007 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

The Öresund (referring to the stretch of sea binding/between Sweden and Denmark) Film Festival is starting next week, and I'm thinking of going to see Boyle's Sunshine, but I'm not sure yet. Reviews have been very mixed, but cast is great and trailers are cool. So maybe.

The Fountain opens this week, whoo! Finally!

3/23/2007 05:02:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

You've GOT to go see The Fountain. I still have no idea how to go about reviewing it but I'd sure love to have a big, spoiler-filled discussion about it.

3/23/2007 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

Dismal weekend at the movies

I was thinking the opposite. There are no less than 4 movies I wouldn't mind seeing. None that I'm over the moon about, but it's more than the usual one or none that come out every week.

I'm going to try my darndest to see Reign Over Me by Sunday night. It looks like something that would cause me to squeeze a tear or two out.

Brian, good return to form! After the cineweste debacle of 3.21.07 I laughed at the mimzy/mohican joke. Never actually thought of that. Kudos!

3/23/2007 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

You've GOT to go see The Fountain.

On sunday, I hope. First I have to go see Pan's Labyrinth. I somehow manage to never get around to that, and this is the last weekend it's going at the local big arthouse cinema (which is just one block away! For shame, really).

a 1.7 user rating on IMDb is enough to chase me away, thanks.

Wonder if any reviewer will dare use the header "Black Men Can't Swim".

3/23/2007 05:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

enter to chris29-pictures.blogspot.com

12/06/2008 02:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home