Tuesday, March 07, 2006

X3: The Last Stand

by Count Olaf
So I just saw the new trailer a few minutes ago while watching 24 (the best show on television, fyi) and all I can say is "Please don't screw this up Brett." The trailers are looking so good. I mean, did I actually see the Juggernaut?
The story has been co-written by a guy who helped out on X2 (awesome) and another guy who did xXx: State of the Union and Mr & Mrs Smith. Hmm. this is not giving me the warm and fuzzies I wanted. Every point of excitement is checked by another dose of reality.
"Yay, there's going to be an X-Men 3."
"Boo, it's being helmed by Brett Ratner."
"Yay, the first trailer looked amazing."
"Boo, so did the trailers for ep1, 2, & 3"
"Yay, the 2nd trailer looked phenomenal."
"So Bryan Singer really isn't involved in this at all???? Boo"
etc etc etc .......
But maybe, just maybe, Brett is a fanboy like me and wants to do everything fans always dream about. Perhaps there is still some good left in him!
Why do I always say I won't get my hopes up only to get my hopes up when the movie music and flashy images come up on screen?

3 Comments:

Blogger Colin said...

T3 is shaping up to look a lot like X3. First, you have Singer and Cameron doing superb 1st and 2nd installments. They are both obviously gifted technical filmmakers, but they also bring an, um, x factor to their films...some kind of pathos and flow that makes the sum bigger than the parts.

Then, for T3, they get Mostow, a quality technical guy who did great genre work in "Breakdown" and "U-571." And what we get is a solid 3rd entry, but nothing that you really think about afterwards or which becomes embedded in the pop cultural consciousness.

I kind of see Ratner on about the same level as Mostow, but maybe a rung lower. The critics really liked "Red Dragon," but boy for a serial killer film that one left your head the second you left the theater.

Now, I will say that the trailers for X3 look better than they did for T3, but I think it will be a less then the sum of its parts type deal.

3/07/2006 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I actually didn't like either Hannibal or Red Dragon. Give me Michael Mann's Manhunter over Ratner's RD any day.

But I'm still psyched about X-Men. I heard that James Marsden bites it in the first act, I hope he dies horribly! And I've always liked the Dark Phoenix saga.

And yes, that was Vinnie Jones playing Juggernaut. His costume is kinda silly but he is right for the part.

3/07/2006 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

I would probably say:

"Manhunter: -- A, even with the synth score

"The Silence of the Lambs" -- A-

"Red Dragon" -- B

"Hannibal" -- B-/C+; not that great, but solid, campy fun

3/07/2006 10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home