Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Opening 04/07 in Dallas

by Brian
In order of personal priority:

Elevator to the Gallows: I'm a sucker for reissues, and anytime something from Rialto Pictures comes along, I'm there. This week, Louis Malle's debut film comes down the pike after a long wait (was originally supposed to open last month), "in a new 35mm restoration supervised by the Malle family." Yay!

L'Enfant (The Child): Palme d'Or winner in 2005, with a very bizarre trailer that has me fairly intrigued. Opening at the Inwood Theatre, a perfect place for a gritty French art movie.

Brick: Teen noir film that was a hit at Sundance last year, also with a solid trailer. I'm a little afraid it'll be a bit too cute for its own good, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

Lonesome Jim: Steve Buscemi-directed movie that looks like it has a very appealing performance by Liv Tyler and an irritating one by Casey Affleck. Reviewed on this site previously by Colin.

Don't Come Knocking: New Wim Wenders movie with Sam Shepard and a bunch of other name actors. Thinking about it now, I don't think I've ever seen a Wim Wenders movie, except for the first half of Wings of Desire.

Lucky Number Slevin: I'm still watching, Weinsteins. Alex reviewed this the other day.

Take the Lead: Hmm ... a remake of Stand and Deliver with Antonio Banderas in the Edward James Olmos role and dance in the calculus role. I'll probably pass.

The Benchwarmers: I have nothing to add to this.

Phat Girlz: I debated whether to put this or Benchwarmers last. I decided on this because I think it's dishonest and degrading to use "Phat" in order to pretend that you're not really saying "fat". Also, Fox is releasing it under their Fox Seachlight label, as if this is an art film or something, and that irritates me.

So, five will-sees, and might-see, a probably-not, and two no-way-in-hells. Really, that's a pretty good week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Count Olaf said...

So...Antonio Banderas is "the finger man?" That might give a whole new meaning to the dance...
It does seem like Stand & Deliver vs Dangerous Minds inspired by Mad Hot Ballroom

4/05/2006 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

The HBO Inside Look special on Take the Lead was all about how revolutionary it was that they were combining ballroom dancing with hip-hop. It's a floor wax and a dessert topping! Ugh. I'll pass.

4/05/2006 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

Almost forgot: I only know Ascenseur pour l'échafaud from its Miles Davis soundtrack. Wonder what the film is actually like. I had a really messed up picture of Dances with Wolves when I excitedly bought the soundtrack and listened to it ahead of the film's release. Who would have thought Kicking Bird was the chief and not the chick, etc?

4/05/2006 11:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home