Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 05/05

by Brian
As always, in descending priority:

Mission: Impossible III (trailer): Two reasons for this being at the top. First, my girlfriend saw it several weeks ago and said it was very good. She felt pretty much the same as me about the first two (hated the second, so-so on the first), and she also predicted that I would loathe War of the Worlds in similar circumstances last year, so I believe her. Second, as we'll see, there's very little to choose from this week.

Mountain Patrol: Kekexili (trailer at official site): I don't really know anything about this; I had a chance to attend a screening last night but passed it up. And I find that the feeling of vague disgust towards National Geographic's March of the Penguins only grows with time. With that experience in mind, though, I have to say that there are worse things than sitting through a documentary with the kind of beautiful footage that this doc probably has. Plus, I'm obviously very much against Tibetan antelope poaching.

The Promise (trailer): Word on this has been just short of disastrous, with a 21/24 rating from Rotten Tomatoes. We've seen so many of these Asian martial arts dramas, and I think that particular party ended already. They've become at least as much of a cliche as any kind of CGI-fest that Hollywood puts out.

Hoot (trailer): Kids protecting endangered owls. Now, owl habitat destruction doesn't push my eco-liberal buttons quite like Tibetan antelope poaching, but I'm still against it. More discouraging is that this is a kids' movie directed by a guy whose experience is mostly in TV sitcoms, but it has to be better than that other movie adapted from a Carl Hiaasen book, doesn't it?

An American Haunting (trailer): My biggest problem with this, aside from general dislike of the cheap horror movie trend, is that far too often I've had to deal with the ads on various websites. Anyone else experience this? The ones with the annoying fright sting that sounds like a steroidal version of the "Law and Order" thunk-thunk every time you roll over it with the mouse? Things like this just make me SO ANGRY THAT I JUST WANT TO AAAARRRHHHHHH!!!!!

One Last Thing... (trailer): The next, far lower-profile simultaneous theater/DVD release from Magnolia Pictures and HDNet, about a terminally ill teen whose last wish is to meet a spoiled-brat supermodel. This one looks far less interesting than Bubble ever did. Note of interest: Sunny Mabrey, who plays the model, is also in Snakes on a Plane.

Summer Storm (trailer): It seems that every week there's a specialized release that I've never heard of. Summer Storm is this week's, about a Tibetan antelope poacher who realizes that he has feelings for his boyhood friend, while overly metaphoric storm clouds gather on the horizon. Could he be ... (cue ominous music) gay?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know if the guy is gay, but I understand that Poached Tibetan Antelope Over Toast is quite a treat!

5/03/2006 09:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I'll see United 93 this weekend. I also have some more Hitchcock DVDs to watch (Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion). I may go see M:i:III, but I may hold it until next weekend.

5/04/2006 10:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home