Friday, June 16, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 06/16

by Brian
Drawing Restraint 9 (trailer): Honestly, I don’t know much about this movie other than what I’ve seen from the trailer, which I’ve seen several times and is thoroughly, extraordinarily grating. But it’s a very lackluster week, so what the hell.

Nacho Libre (trailer): Having not seen Napolean Dynamite but being annoyed with it all the same, I’m not all that eager to see a movie that’s already having a similar effect before it’s even released. Probably will, though.

Forgiving Dr. Mengele (trailer at official site): I presume the title of the film speaks for itself, although I have to wonder what the greater implications of forgiveness in this situation are. I can’t really see any, frankly.

The Lake House (trailer): Looks pretty bad, so this may be a bad time to ask, but why’s everyone always picking on Keanu Reeves? I’ve always thought he was a better actor than his reputation allows.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (trailer): Haven’t seen the first two, won’t see this. I surrender any choice comments to the floor.

Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (trailer): I used to love Garfield as a kid, but now I’m not altogether sure why. When I read the old books that I have, they don’t seem particularly funny. Maybe the animated cartoons were better; I really don’t remember. Anyway, I’ve outgrown it now, but even if I hadn’t I don’t think these two movies would have appealed to me, at all.

6 Comments:

Blogger jaydro said...

After seeing PR material for TFatF: Tokyo Drift it occurred to me that this film is the perfect antidote for those who felt frustrated by Lost in Translation. The characters in this new film are obviously not moping around in their hotel--they are hitting the town in one of the most exciting metropolises in the world and making the most of it! Yee-hah! ;-)

I saw the first The Fast and the Furious, and I thought it was a great B-movie. Vin Diesel even impressed me in it. I didn't see the second one, and I'm frankly not sure why this one shares the same moniker. Wouldn't a tie-in to a video game have made more sense?

6/16/2006 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I won't be seeing any of these in theaters. The plan is to see Cars this week with my nephews.

6/19/2006 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Saw The Lake House over the weekend ... pretty boring. And the ending truly defies belief. I'm not sure I can think of a movie that worked harder to have a less credible ending. Maybe the remake of The Stepford Wives.

6/19/2006 11:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a shameless tie-in with Tokyo Drift, Current ran a "pod" this morning about an all-female "drifting" team called Drifting Pretty. Apparently, there is a competitive drifting circuit.
It's good to see that Al Gore's work in creating the Current network was not in vain.

6/19/2006 08:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had much down time lately, so I only happened upon Current in the upper reaches of my channel selection last week. I like the fact that I learn something every time I watch. I think I'm a bit older than the target audience, but I enjoy the mix of topics.

6/20/2006 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

I've tried Current as a default channel (its predecessor News World International was my default channel for a while) and at times I check it out, but it's still too miss more than hit for me. The best thing about Current replacing NWI has been that it's caused me to check out the more-radical-than-NWI Link TV. But my default channel lately has been the NASA Channel. Nothing can beat a good vintage documentary on Mariner V. (I am not kidding.)

6/23/2006 10:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home