Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Opened in Dallas, 09/08

by Brian
I’m back, and need to do some catching up. The most notable film event of this week is the start of the Viva Pedro! retrospective, which is being kicked off by Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Neat.

Hollywoodland (trailer): Already been reviewed by Jackrabbit Slim.

Time to Leave (trailer): A terminally ill man comes to terms with the bad decisions from his life. I’d like to see this, but I doubt I’ll get the chance.

The House of Sand (trailer): A woman and her mother are condemned to life in the middle of the Brazilian desert. Somewhat mixed reviews, but the photography really looks fantastic.

Truce (trailer): I’ve never heard of this, to be honest. Very high IMDb rating, but only 17 votes, so who knows.

The Protector (trailer): You know, this movie was added to the release schedule only very recently by The Weinstein Co., with a date of 8/25. I thought it’d be the one Weinstein movie whose release date doesn’t change at the last minute for no apparent reason. But no luck.

The Covenant (trailer): Uh, yeah, right. Good luck, Renny.

Broken Bridges (trailer at official site): Toby Keith is an actor now, I guess. And Burt Reynolds is in it, too! Isn’t there a Man Law against seeing stuff like this?

4 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

I can't stand the early Almodovar films. Women on the Verge is just a pain and embarrassment to sit through, and for a long time I couldn't for the life of me understand what people saw in his films. Overwrought and melodramatic in the worst ways, with the kind of 'look at me!'-acting and characters that make me cringe.

But I'm grateful that somebody did, since somehow out of those films he finally got into a great kind of groove, starting with All About My Mother. Since then he's made films I am nothing but a fan of.

9/12/2006 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Never seen any of the early Almodovars, in fact I've only seen Talk to Her and Bad Education. So we'll see how it goes.

9/12/2006 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I can see where Nick is coming from, but I liked Matador. Women on the Verge is too much. I thought Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! was okay.

9/13/2006 08:16:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I think you guys undersold Women on the Verge. During the first twenty minutes, I thought it was going down the road Nick described ("overwrought and melodramatic"), so I was surprised when it came around. By the end I was having a pretty good time with it.

9/15/2006 01:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home