Friday, September 01, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 09/01

by Brian
Idiocracy: The term “long gestating” doesn’t even begin to apply to this one. Mike Judge’s long, long, long-awaited follow-up to Office Space has been completely buried by Fox. There’s no trailer that I know of, no TV ads, no website, not even any mention of it on Fox’s website that I can find. How bad can it really be, I wonder?

Lassie (trailer): In a desperately weak week (which is good since I’ll be out of town for a week anyway), an apparently well-made Lassie film gets second billing.

Only Human (trailer): Spanish comedy distributed by Magnolia Pictures, who generally seem to pride themselves on putting quality above box-office prospects. The trailer for this is all over the map, but it might be funny. Or not, I don’t know. Reviews have been pretty decent.

Trust the Man (trailer): Good cast - Duchovny, Moore, M. Gyllenhaal, Crudup - in what otherwise looks like a very boring movie. Reviews have been less than kind.

The Wicker Man (trailer): I was thinking about it the other day, and I think that Neil LaBute’s Nurse Betty was the last movie that I actually walked out on. That was a long time ago, but I think I’ll steer clear of this one, just in case.

The Quiet (trailer): I don’t know what to make of this one. It looks like a daytime soap opera transferred to the big screen.

Crank (trailer): Whatever.

Crossover (trailer): Ditto.

Another Gay Movie (trailer at official site): A gay American Pie. Just in case that’s not obvious enough, the key art even has the dude holding a pie, Biggs-style. I can only imagine the creative energy that must have gone into that one. And yet, strangely, neither the Weinsteins nor the Wayans brothers seem to have been involved.

1 Comments:

Blogger jaydro said...

Wow, you walked out on Nurse Betty? I don't remember it being that great, but not walk-outable. The last movie I walked out on was Major Payne--that was when I was getting regular free screening tickets from Universal. That provided most of my walkouts. ;-)

It's a shame about Idiocracy. Office Space is a minor classic. After they showed some clips from it on the outfield scoreboard during a Durham Bulls game I made a point to rescreen it after my Labor Day cookout. The first 45 minutes or so are perfect, and it falls apart a little after that, but it still has great rewatchability.

P.S. Yes, I am in crowd scenes in Bull Durham.

9/06/2006 01:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home