Friday, September 22, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 09/22

by Brian
Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (trailer): New film from Zhang Yimou, seemingly quite different from his recent films House of Flying Daggers, which I thought was OK, and Hero, which I inexplicably missed. For pure postcard beauty, this poster from Sony Classics can’t be beat, and I think it’s influencing my wanting to see it more than anything else.

All the King’s Men (trailer): Well-known to be trouble at this point, but it’s hard to believe it’s that bad, even if all evidence suggests that it is.

Haven (trailer): With Orlando Bloom and Bill Paxton. Premiered at Toronto 2004, so it’s been kicking around awhile.

Fearless (trailer): Jet Li’s final martial arts movie, just in case you’ve missed all advertising for this movie and haven’t heard.

Confetti (trailer): The Hollywood Reports’s Ray Bennett says watching this “is like being sucked into the quicksand of comedy hell” (via the Chicago Sun-Times). So it’s like all those bridal shows on cable, in other words.

Flyboys (trailer): What I really love about this is the shot in the trailer where the guy is running across the exploding blimp (er, zeppelin?). Because it is, you, “inspired by a true story.”

Aurora Borealis (trailer): More from Regent.

Jackass: Number Two (trailer): I would have thought that Jackass’s time was up, since the first movie was 4 years ago already, and it’s resoundingly clear that no one really wants to see Johnny Knoxville in anything else. But, here’s another one, and apparently it’ll make some money this weekend.

A couple more notes for this week:

-- Feast, the Project Greenlight horror film, premieres this week. I’m not listing it with the other openings because it’s doing midnight shows only, tonight and tomorrow. Leave it to the Weinsteins to find new and inventive ways to bury a film.

-- The Viva Pedro! retrospective continues this week with Matador, Live Flesh, and Law of Desire.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Funny:

Leave it to the Weinsteins to find new and inventive ways to bury a film.

I used to be a Weinstein devotee until your subtle puns on the brothers wonderful skill of promoting and destroying. That, and Down and Dirty Pictures, has slowly sort of brought me around.

9/22/2006 02:07:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

I loved Hero. A beautifully shot film with a plot to boot. House of Flying daggers seemed way too much style and not enough substance there. Those are the only two Yimou films I've seen. Time to search netflix....

9/22/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Actually, I used to be a Weinstein devotee too, until they simply stopped making or acquiring good movies. Really, it's been years since they put something truly worthy out.

9/22/2006 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

And I really really wanted to see Feast, but with late shows only at two theaters I don't like, I guess it's wait 'til mid-October for the DVD and plan a Hallowe'en party around it....

9/22/2006 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

And I really really wanted to see Feast, but with late shows only at two theaters I don't like, I guess it's wait 'til mid-October for the DVD and plan a Hallowe'en party around it....

That actually sounds like more fun.

9/22/2006 05:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home