Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Stanley Kubrick Shorts

by jaydro
While looking up the new Star Trek on my TiVo, listed alphabetically just before it was Stanley Kubrick Shorts on Turner Classic Movies, airing Sept. 15th at 10:30 pm. They're showing Day of the Fight and The Flying Padre. I've heard about these for many years and never seen them, and if they've aired before on TCM, then I somehow missed it. Thank God for serendipitous TiVo searches (this happens to me a lot). Years ago someone kept announcing they were going to be releasing The Seafarers on DVD, but that never happened (did it?). Now all that's left is Fear and Desire and Strangers Kiss....

Yeah, I see you can download Day of the Fight, and Flying Padre is available at YouTube! And I might have already watched them that way if the whim had somehow struck me at the right time (I'm generally too busy watching Australian V8 Supercar racing), but you can bet the quality from TCM is going to be superior....

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I had just discovered those two (Day of the Fight and Flying Padre) and had been thinking about posting the links on my blog, but you've beat me to the punch.

If you happen to run across the other three, please feel free to drop me a line. :)

9/12/2006 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

I updated the links to the two shorts in the post to be the actual articles at TCM's website rather than their database entries for the two shorts which have little info.

Looks like TCM is showing a bunch of interesting shorts on Friday. Classic Keaton, Chaplin, plus little-seen stuff from Scorsese, Lynch, the Scott brothers--I could go on and on. Check out that schedule!

Joe--looks like you could get Strangers Kiss on VHS. I threw that one in because, though it isn't a Kubrick film, I hear it is an interesting ficitonalized version of the making of Killer's Kiss.

9/14/2006 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home