Friday, December 01, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 12/01

by Brian
Does any of this sound good to anyone?

The Nativity Story (trailer): New Line kinda seems to be trying to ride The Passion of the Christ’s coattails on this one, but I don’t think this movie has the raison d’etre that showing Christ beat to a bloody pulp offers. In terms of art, I mean. And religion, I guess.

Sleeping Dogs Lie (trailer): Bobcat Goldthwait film about a woman who once blew her dog. Her husband has a problem with it. I would assume that arguments follow. So, that sounds fun.

Turistas (trailer): High school kids get chopped up while visiting Brazil. Good riddance, probably.

Van Wilder 2: The Rise of Taj (trailer): I have to admit, the title of this movie got my attention, as it strongly implied that there had been a Van Wilder 1, and that it was successful enough to spawn a sequel. After some diligent research - I take this column quite seriously, thank you - I discovered that, yes, there had been a Van Wilder I, only it was called simply Van Wilder. It starred Ryan Reynolds and Tara Reid, and was released in 2002. Now Reynolds and Reid are gone, which I guess in their own way makes them a kind of current-day Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Appallingly bad weekend for openings, especially given that it is December, and not January. I think I'll catch up with Borat, which I'm still debating whether I want to see or not.

I rented National Lampoon's Van Wilder, as it is an extremely bad college sex comedy, even in that historically bad genre, and continuing evidence that the brand name of National Lampoon is now completely worthless. I find it interesting that though the character Van Wilder does not appear in the sequel, he is still the title character. Also, it seems that Kal Penn is fast on his way to being in as many of these bare-breasted colleg girl movies as he can.

12/01/2006 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

Also, it seems that Kal Penn is fast on his way to being in as many of these bare-breasted colleg girl movies as he can.
Did I miss this part of Superman Returns? j/k

I was only mildly interested in seeing the Nativity Story until I read reviews at AICN (which, of course, should be taken with a cubic yard of salt) and other places which basically state the "boringness" of it all. There's exciting stuff in the story if one doesn't rely only on the traditions they've heard growing up....so for now I'll stick to Linus' retelling in the Charlie Brown Christmas special.

12/01/2006 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

uhhh....it only took me 5 hours to catch the irony of my last two sentences. ha. i'm retarded

12/01/2006 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

The Nativity Story trailer made it look unworthy of a slot on the Hallmark Channel (and I actually do watch some stuff on the Hallmark Channel, mind you). My TiVo has strangely refused to record the HBO "First Look" special on it.

12/03/2006 01:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home