Friday, January 05, 2007

Opening in Dallas, 01/05

by Brian
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (trailer: Tom Twyker question - did anyone see The Princess and the Warrior? Was it any good?

Notes on a Scandal (trailer): Daytime soaps come to the big screen, only inexplicably with a great cast and loads of other prestige factors. OK, maybe that’s not really fair, but could they have cut this trailer to be any more overwrought? I mean, it was overwrought by the time the streaked makeup shows up, and by the time the Dench-Blanchett catfight arrives, I wanted everyone to just take a quaalude and chill the fuck out.

Miss Potter (trailer): From the Unoriginal Thought Dept: I wish costar Emily Watson was playing Beatrix Potter in this movie, instead of Renée Zellweger.

Thr3e (trailer at official site): So, FoxFaith gets around to releasing a Christian-themed serial killer movie, called Thr3e no less. Gee, no ripoff there. I swear, this is true. “From a producer of X-Men”, just in case you doubted the pedigree of such a production.

Freedom Writers (trailer): Judging by the trailer - admittedly a bad habit - Hilary Swank is an early nominee for the Most Painfully Awkward Performance of the Year award for 2007. Jennifer Connelly narrowly beat out everyone else in the Blood Diamond cast to win last year’s award.

Code Name: The Cleaner (trailer): It seems like an odd thing for me to say, but I kind of like Cedric the Entertainer. I don’t know why; as far as I know he’s never done anything that I enjoyed. But it seems like he could be funny, in the right situation. Which this movie is almost certainly not.

Happily N’Ever After (trailer): No chance in hell.

Also, as an addendum, The Painted Veil (trailer) was the only movie to open last Friday, but I never got around to mentioning that then.

5 Comments:

Blogger Count Olaf said...

Not to defend Three, because I haven't read the book and know nothing about the movie, but the producer is Ralph Winter who has actually produced/exec produced both good (x-men, x2, star trek 4 & 6)and bad movies (Captain ron!) in addition to the Christian ones...
And I don't remember the backwards "3" in the original book title when I saw it in bookstores a few years ago..but, whatever. Marketing trying to cash in on the l33t crowd....

1/05/2007 05:07:00 PM  
Blogger LesterG said...

Regardless, I hope Ralph Winter is ready for Donald Kaufman to haul him into court.

1/05/2007 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

LesterG! Welcome back!
Now we just need Stroup (who i saw post on HE a few days ago) and Chris (satyr...e-mailed to no response) and we'll be a whole family again!

1/05/2007 08:19:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Except that it seems Nick has disappeared again.

1/07/2007 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Hey, fellas, Brian emailed to ask where I was. Have a bunch to do at the moment so I'll just paste the email I wrote him.

Hiya, Brian

Sorry, just been very busy. Only able to read what you guys write. Maybe bad manners not even saying "hiya, busy!" Will get back to you all as usual, as soon as I'm done with this ton of work and essays to hand in at the moment.

Loved The Prestige. Maybe will review it. On Friday Departed day. Less work then, let's hope.

Nick


Definitely be back in two weeks time.

1/09/2007 06:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home