Friday, January 12, 2007

Opening in Dallas, 01/12

by Brian
Pan’s Labyrinth (trailer): I’ve grown progressively more excited for this in the past few weeks. So, I decided to rent The Devil’s Backbone, which I had missed during its theatrical run. Very good show - in fact, quite beautiful in its way - and now I’m more excited than ever.

Letters from Iwo Jima (trailer): On the other hand, my anticipation for this has been steadily waning since I saw the trailer. Hope I’m wrong.

Alpha Dog (trailer): Surprisingly mixed reviews for this; I should maybe check it out if I have the time.

Stomp the Yard (trailer): I assume “Truth University” is fictional, but it has me wondering. What would their athletic teams be named? What would their mascot look like? These things are really important if a movie wants to be credible.

Arthur and the Invisibles (trailer): So much I could write about this, even without seeing it. But I’ll just say this: there was a time - 1995-1996, I guess - when I would have gone to see any movie that Luc Besson made. But The Fifth Element was disappointing, and The Messenger was offensively bad. And when I watched The Professional lately, I realized that, despite my earlier enthusiasm, it had never been any good either. So long story short, this looks awful - really and truly awful - and I can happily skip it without feeling guilty.

Primeval (trailer): After reading some of the real story behind Gustave, I’m convinced that a great movie could be made from it. Basically, you have the story about a giant killer croc, with political overtones given the ongoing civil war in Burundi. Somehow, though, I’m pretty sure that Primeval is not that movie.

3 Comments:

Blogger jaydro said...

I'm just bummed that my area didn't make the cut for the Letters from Iwo Jima release (yet).

(And funny that the new Blogger using my Google account has a harder time remembering I'm logged in than it used to with my old Blogger account, even though I'm constantly logged in to all kinds of Google services.)

1/13/2007 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Watched Pan's Labrinth yesterday. Emule download. I don't think it will ever make it to the big screen here in Shanghai. We'll see.

Hey Jay,
I noticed that since I started using the new Blogger that sometines gmail will "forget" who I am.
-john

1/15/2007 01:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Saw Pan's Labyrinth yesterday--fantastic! I'll write a longer review later this week if someone doesn't beat me to it.

1/16/2007 08:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home