Friday, March 23, 2007

Inland Empire

by jaydro
Well, somehow it has happened. Again. I always eagerly look forward to any new David Lynch film, and early buzz on Inland Empire had me, well, who cares--it's a David Lynch film. I've barely seen any clips or reviews of it, and that doesn't matter. It came here two weeks ago, and bounced between a trio of arthouse theaters where it was getting one show a night (the one most convenient to me played it the full two weeks, but pre-empted it several nights for special screenings). I was going to play hooky to go see a matinee of it at a distant theater on Wednesday, but, damn, the weather was so nice it was too hard to play hooky to go sit in a theater. Then I planned to go last night, and it didn't work out. And now, well, it's gone. After just two weeks.

The Good German redux. And Inland Empire had even less promotion than German, but that shouldn't surprise given its nature--Lynch is self-distributing. It's just....

I'm still a bit distressed that I have yet to see any DVD release details (like when and whether there's going to be Soderbergh commentary) for German, which makes going down to the virtual Canal Street all the more tempting.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

I'm pissed about Children of Men. It had a two week run at one theatre in Stockholm, and now it's gone off the map. So no hope of seeing it in Malmö, no hope of seeing it at all in a theatre.

Reviews were above average to great, but with no big stars, and the marketing not playing up neither the British angle (always a pretty big segment appealed to that aspect over here) nor the action elements, it seemed it just couldn't distinguish itself. The distributors were probably hoping for Oscar recognition, but with that not happening the necessary media focus wasn't there, so they just put it away to die. Real fucking sad.

3/23/2007 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

Wow, that surprises me about Children of Men, what with all the hype it got here (pre-Oscars). It was almost a turn-off to me, and probably affected my opinion after having seen it, what with everyone calling it Blade Runner for the 21st century etc.

3/23/2007 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

One my favorites of the year, and in a comparison with Blade Runner comes out a lot better (but then I think Blade Runner is vastly overrated).

3/26/2007 07:28:00 AM  
Blogger jaydro said...

Yeah, Jackrabbit, I meant to include in my comment "and I think Blade Runner is overrated." But we disagree on Children of Men.

3/26/2007 08:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home