Monday, April 10, 2006

The best films to be ignored at the Oscars

by Professor Wagstaff
I was thinking of this topic after watching a recently bought DVD of one of my all-time favourite films 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance'.

I won't go into detail as to why I believe it's a masterpiece as what I wanted to mention was my surprise at how it was almost totally ignored by the Academy when it was released. I'm astonished how it was only nominated for one Oscar (Best Costumes), let alone not even getting nominated for Best Picture.

And that got me thinking: what are the best films ever to either not get nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, or not get nominated for any Oscar at all?

In the first category (apart from TMWSLV), is 'Singin In the Rain' - it's been fairly well documented that it was mysteriously ignored for honours upon its release and only in later years did it get the recognition it deserved.

As for the latter category, my vote would definitely have to go with 1967's 'Point Blank'. I had the good fortune to first see this at a cinema a few years later and was totally blown away by its daring and constant brillance. Perhaps it was too far ahead of its time to get feted at the time but how it didn't at least get some technical awards when it was so groundbreaking in areas like editing is beyond me.

What are some of the best films that you've seen that have gone unrewarded or totally ignored by the Academy over the years?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I could probably list a hundred. The original King Kong comes to mind immediately, though.

4/10/2006 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Paths of Glory
Heat
Groundhog Day
Caché
The Night of the Hunter

4/10/2006 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Some more ignored westerns

The Searchers
For A Fistful of Dollars (I consider them as American films)
For A Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
The Wild Bunch

City Lights
Modern Times
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski
Donnie Darko
Life of Brian
Fight Club

4/10/2006 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home