Friday, May 12, 2006

Opening in Dallas, 05/12

by Brian
Movie I’ve already seen:

Poseidon: Thought it sucked. My full review is here.

Others, in order of interest:

Art School Confidential (trailer): I was a big fan of Terry Zwigoff’s Ghost World, less so of Bad Santa. This looks like something in between, returning to source material from Daniel Clowes but more of an emphasis on broad humor.

Wah-Wah (trailer): Strong contender for the worst title of the year award, but it’s got a strong cast and has gotten decnt reviews. Looks kinda boring, though, and melodramas with great casts about affluent Brits seem to come and go without ever making much of an impact.

Goal! The Dream Begins (trailer): Soccer movie from the director of Judge Dredd and I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, so you know it’s got to be good.

Gilles’ Wife (trailer): French soap opera about a woman whose husband is having an affair with her sister. I’m so glad this is finally coming out. Not because I want to see it, but because I’ve had to sit through the trailer every time I’ve seen a movie at the Angelika for the past six months or so. I’m weary.

Just My Luck (trailer): I read somewhere, don’t remember where, that this is Lindsay Lohan’s first “grown-up” role. My, my, we’ve sure come a long way since Jodie Foster had to play a child prostitute for Disney products to get a grown-up role, haven't we?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Terry Zwigoff is a strong three for three with me, as I loved Crumb, Ghost World, and Bad Santa. The less-than-stellar reviews have cooled my interest, but I think I'll see it this weekend.

5/12/2006 12:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But will they call it Ice Harvest? There is a The Ice Harvest out already, after all.

- Nick

5/13/2006 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I saw Art School Confidential, and unfortunately the lackluster reviews were dead-on, this was a misstep for Zwigoff. The tone is all wrong, what should have been a comedy about a kid meeting interesting types in art school becomes a movie about a serial killer. Another problem is the main character, played by Max Minghella. He's a total drip, with nothing interesting to say. He's not funny or charming, so we really don't give a shit about his plight. Very disappointing film.

5/15/2006 07:30:00 AM  
Blogger Professor Wagstaff said...

Not terribly surprised to read that about 'Art School Confidential', as it would continue the downward trend in Zwigoff's film career.

'Crumb' was exceptional, 'Ghost World' was flawed but pretty good and 'Bad Santa' was an overrated disappointment.

5/15/2006 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Professor, I'll disagree with you on the degree of Zwigoff's spiral downward. Yes, Crumb was exceptional, but so was Ghost World, while I thought Bad Santa was very good--not overrated or a disappointment to me. I haven't laughed as much in a theater since then as I did at Bad Santa.

5/15/2006 08:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home