Thursday, April 13, 2006

Opening 04/14 in Dallas

by Brian
Not so good of a week this week. In order of personal priority:

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days: Nominated for a Foreign Film Oscar this past year, this German film recounts the trial and execution of a young German anti-Nazi activist. Based on a true story, of course. Looks moderately interesting if a bit by the numbers for this sort of thing.

Game 6: I've read a lot about Michael Keaton's fantastic performance, and I'll likely see it for that reason, but I'm just not feeling it. For one thing, the use of the actual Game 6 of the 1986 World Series feels a bit dated and trite. And the trailer (found here) only strengthens that feeling. But, we'll see. It got a very strong review from Robert Wilonsky, who is usually decently reliable.

Friends with Money: A very strong cast, and a trailer that has no point whatsoever. Matter for discussion: Office Space was the high-water mark of Jennifer Aniston's career - true or false?

On a Clear Day: So, a cranky old man decides to swim the English Channel. It's all so gosh-darn inspirational, you see.

The Wild: I'll skip the obvious Madagascar comparisons and simply point out that I didn't see that, either.

La Mujer de Mi Hermano: Spanish-language drama that I know almost nothing about. Seems awfully soap-operaish, though, just from the title.

Preaching to the Choir: A hip-hop artist clashes with his minister brother. Another specialty release pandering to aimed at church audiences.

Scary Movie 4: I skipped the first three, too, and I am considering this yet another brick in the Weinsteins' wall of shame.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

This weekend I have Thank You For Smoking planned and possibly Brick. I will not be seeing The Wild. I've seen a couple of the Scary Movie flicks on DVD, but refuse to see one in a theater.

4/13/2006 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Just read that Game 6 has a screenplay by Don DeLillo. Now that's intriguing!

4/13/2006 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I hear you, Chris, but she was decent in The Good Girl. I think she's doomed to be in bad romantic comedies for a while, kind of on the same career path of Sandra Bullock.

4/13/2006 02:49:00 PM  
Blogger Professor Wagstaff said...

The first Scary Movie was about the worst film I've ever seen. Notwithstanding that different people are behind the camera for this, it dispirits me immensely that a Scary Movie 5 is already going to be released next Easter

So while I didn't completely agree with the tone of it or who he was bagging, I quite enjoyed Wells' bagging of it in his Wired column (http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/wireditems/2006/04/this_is_among_t.php)

4/17/2006 08:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home