Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Underdog

by Jackrabbit Slim

Yet another childhood memory that will certainly be ruined. I'm sure many of you have read reports that Underdog will be turned into a feature film. I've read that it will be part CGI animation/part live-action, which makes it sound suspiciously like the feature film version of Scooby Doo. Jason Lee will voice the super-hound (Nothing against Lee, who I enjoy on My Name is Earl, but he is no Wally Cox), while Amy Adams will presumably play Sweet Polly Purebred. Peter Dinklage is also in the cast, possibly as Simon Barsinister, which would be good.

When I was a lad in the '60s, I loved Underdog cartoons. I'm not sure if they've been prevalent in syndication so that the younger generations have seen them. I have no idea how they would hold up to my jaded, cynical, adult eyes, but I have fond memories of some of the episodes, such as the one where the planet of cats stole all the cows from Earth so they could have a never-ending supply of milk, or the one where Underdog had recurring back pain, and finally figured out it was because a sword was stuck down the back of his uniform.

Another bit of nostalgia becomes fodder for the multiplexes...

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Never seen it, nor have I ever seen it even in the TV listings.

But I guess that when you've done Scooby-Doo, Rocky and Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle, Dudley Do-Right, The Flintstones, and Mr. Magoo, Underdog is the next logical place to turn.

5/16/2006 05:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a special place in my heart for Underdog, even though I cannot remember a single episode. Perhaps it's because I was one of those weird kids who was a HUGE fan of Wally Cox (he was great on Hollywood Squares). This project seems pretty unnecessary, really. I don't even think morbid curiosity would pull me into the theater.

5/16/2006 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger jaydro said...

I have vague memories of being a big fan of the old show, and I remember thinking Hong Kong Phooey was kind of a rip-off, but now all I can remember is the Scatman doing Hong Kong Phooey.

Underdog has aired on Boomerang lately, it seems, but has since been replaced in their lineup. Now you've got me wanting to check it out again. *sniff*

5/16/2006 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

One more bit on Underdog:

Here in New Jersey there is a woman, a "performance artist," named Suzanne Muldowney, who portrays Underdog in interpretive dance. A friend of mine, who used to be part of a cable-access show called Beyond Vaudeville (which briefly ran on MTV as "Oddville") brought her to the attention of the TV audience. She then went on to be mocked on the Howard Stern Show. Suzanne has what could be charitably called a bizarre fascination with Underdog--I suspect she thinks he's real. In any event, read more at:

http://muldowneyville.tripod.com/

5/17/2006 09:33:00 AM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

jaydro, I was thinking the same thing! Yesterday at lunch I watched an episode of Hong Kong Phooey On Demand. It was fun!

5/17/2006 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger LesterG said...

Jackrabbit,
Ah yes, I remember Muldowney's appearances on Stern fondly. I loved how she would become genuinely upset when Stern mocked the seriousness of Underdog's mission.

FYI - Some filmmakers have made a documentary about her called "My Life as an Underdog":

http://aommedia.com/ARTofMADNESSection/ArtofMadnessWEBpgs/UDOGpg-HOME.html

5/17/2006 03:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning our film on your website.

I would like to update you on the latest with our film.
'My LIfe as an Underdog" is  playing June 10th at  
the Atlanta Film Festival and Suzanne Muldowney is scheduled to do a dance  
performance after the screening as well as Q&A with the audience.
Here  is the link
http://atlanta.bside.com/?_view=_filmdetails&_template=atlanta&filmId=2225089&

festival site is www.atlantafilmfestival.com

The film is also nominated for best documentary feature.

There is another screening in Atlanta June 17th but June 10 is a big  
screening with her dancing and a Q&A session.

This past Monday, Suzanne Muldowney aka Underdog 
appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live alongside David Allan Grier. She performed a dance number and did an interview segment.

Dance segment is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqoJp5-v8I

And the interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66XT1R8VtKM

To learn more about our film visit
our movie website at www.artofmadness.com or www.mylifeasanunderdog.com (both lead to the same site)

All the best,

Boris

5/27/2006 10:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home