Friday, March 09, 2007

Opening in Dallas, 03/09

by Brian
The Host (trailer): Previously reviewed by Nick, and now released in the US courtesy of Magnolia Pictures. Looks like they did an OK job with the marketing, too - the guys on the oldies station this morning were going on and on about it.

300 (trailer): Like so many movies with this kind of fanboy appeal, I can’t help but want to see this, but I also can’t shake the feeling that it’s probably something I won’t like all that much.

Believe in Me (trailer at official site): Never heard of this before this morning, but maybe it’s not all that bad? Good review in the Dallas paper.

Starter for Ten (trailer): I hate it when stuff like this comes along, because there’s just nothing to say about it. There’s not much advance word one way or the other, and it doesn’t look either particularly good or particularly bad. It’s just there.

Maxed Out (trailer): Worthy subject, but sometimes documentaries come out where I feel like everyone already knows everything they have to say.

Puccini for Beginners (trailer): First of two lesbian comedies this week that don’t look any more interesting than the typical romantic comedies involving straight people. This one stars Elizabeth Reaser and Gretchen Mol, who were both in good movies last year.

Gray Matters (trailer): Second of two. This one stars Heather Graham and Bridget Moynihan, who were both not in good movies … ever, maybe.

The Ultimate Gift (trailer at official site): FoxFaith entry about … oh, I don’t know. Somebody dies or something. Lessons are learned. Lives are changed.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Heather Graham has an impressive string of bad films on her resume, but she did do Boogie Nights way back when, and I consider that a great film.

3/09/2007 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

Oh, and she was in Bowfinger, too!

3/09/2007 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Was never a fan of Boogie Nights. Liked Bowfinger, though.

3/09/2007 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger LesterG said...

...and Twin Peaks, Diggstown.

300: I know I'm going to get dragged to see it, but it's going to be kicking and screaming. My hatred for Sin City and the fanboy over-hype have just turned me off.

The Host: Magnolia has absolutely shocked me by purchasing national television spots in support of the film this week (probably at a cost exceeding the distributor's entire marketing budget in 2006).

Although the slow-moving/limited nature of this roll-out makes national advertising a complete waste, at least they're trying. Great film. Highly recommend making the time to see it if it's within a reasonable distance.

3/09/2007 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

I am shocked to actually be seeing 300 tonight. Should be visually arresting (shown in digital).

Loved Bowfinger and HG in that was good...a little too perfect for the part? And I consider Swingers a good movie, though she only really had a handful of lines and had to swing dance in it for about 5 seconds...

3/09/2007 04:54:00 PM  
Blogger Count Olaf said...

I'm a fanboy but, in short, 300 did not break as much ground as I had initially thought it might. It also didn't look as cool as it had been boasting. Everyone says it delivers exactly what it promised, i.e. "cool visuals," but even that didn't seem cool. I was bored at times with the whole thing.

3/10/2007 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jackrabbit Slim said...

I'm still working my feelings out about 300. I give it a barely passing grade. Frankly, I thought the visuals hurt it. The filmmakers didn't trust the story enough, and instead dumbed it down for the testosterone-driven who have never heard of Herodotous, which is fine, and it largely met that ambition. Maybe I'm jaded, but there's nothing very interesting about slow-motion decapitations. I'll write a full review on my blog tomorrow.

3/19/2007 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home